Saturday, September 7, 2013

Chevrolet Silverado CK-Series - Finalized Design

After experimenting with various styles and ideas, I finally settled on a look that continues the well-known stacked headlight look of Chevrolet trucks. I carried over the body style that I had worked on before, with a few miner changes. The following images show the more finalized designs, before I made the move to digital medium.

After finishing that quick scribble (shown in my previous post at the bottom), I wanted to draw it out in full detail. This is a marker sketch done to experiment with the overall look. The horizontal setup of the front grille was blacked out to go along with a theme I have noticed on some old and new Chevrolet cars. I also think that the blacked out wedge grille design could be a running theme with Chevrolet's cars and trucks as a way of identification, just like how BMW has the "kidney" grilles. Blacking out the A and B pillars was something was undecided on until I colored this sketch. One thing I decided on after this sketch was finished is that I also made the rear wedge blacked out to go with the rear.



After finalizing my ideas, I sketched out a full detailed rendering of the truck, with everything in place. The truck sports a clean, consistent look with none of the fuss, and also a feeling of understatement. The wheels were originally meant to imitate the conventional Alcoa wheels on semi trucks, but I decided on a very open spoke design to reduce the amount of flashy chrome. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts is that one of my inspirations for the body design comes from the horse saddle. 



This is the rear shot of the truck, with a more refined rear tailgate area. Compared to what is shown here, I have since changed the location of the exhaust tips from the rear to the sides, due to the fact that this is a diesel-powered truck, and usually diesel vehicles have their exhaust pipes pointing out from the side. This angle view also gives a sense of scale with the truck. It is a crewcab with a long dually bed, but the hood is half a foot longer than any current Silverado pickup truck, and the rear tailgate spoiler adds a couple more inches to the length. The reason for the longer hood was meant to balance out the usually chunky proportions of dually trucks. Production versions of this truck will definitely have to tone down the hood size, of course.



By opening up my mind, it aided in my creativity. If I had still lived like a "fanboy" I would have gone for an overly traditional look that only the most hardcore fans of Chevrolet trucks would have liked. I feel that this finalized design is a result of experimenting with new things rather than sticking with the old, since fans usually want to stick with old things all of the time because they are most familiar and comfortable with them. Of course, you can never stay with the same thing all the time. Eventually, things have to change, or it will slip into irrelevancy. I feel that hardcore Chevrolet fans out there may hate my new designs, but then again, that always seems to happen whenever a new design comes along even from General Motors themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment