Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chevrolet Silverado 7/8 Concepts

I worked on a few front end ideas for the 7/8 Silverado pickup truck. I did focus on the body design as well, but mostly I needed to experiment with the front end for this truck. I am aiming for a very revolutionary look, not only for a Chevrolet truck, but perhaps pickup trucks in general, especially the bigger ones. As a reminder, the 7/8 Silverado (I may as well call it that from now on) will be my idea for a model that fits in-between a midsize and a full-size truck. It is also going to be aimed at a more broader market range, heavily into the urban and suburban style markets where people usually use trucks as a daily driver and occasionally haul marginal amount of cargo.



While stacked headlights are a GM thing since the 1980's or so, I feel that the above grille design is too similar to something Ford has already done with the recent Atlas concept truck, especially because of those turn signals in the middle of the stack. However, the body design is looking more usable. I am not sure if the chrome trim will carry over to the final designs (the trim below the roof).



This is closer to the earlier concepts for the 7/8 Silverado, though I mixed in some chrome bar designs that Chevrolet is starting to use on some of their cars.



So, I even tried a "mini" K35 look. This front end design works best for a tried and true work truck. I do not like the feel it gives off for a more urban or family oriented truck.



I am not too happy about this one, but it was an experiment. The goal was to taper the side and top corners of the front end, but keep the center near vertical. This would create a very aerodynamic front end, but make for an awkward look for a truck. I did not color it because it just is not the shape I wish to go for, so I stopped the sketch half-way through.



Right now I plan on blending the designs in the second and third sketches, which would help to give it that familiar Chevrolet truck look, but also journey into new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment