Sunday, November 10, 2013

GMC Mjolnir - A Rethought of Sorts

While brainstorming the design theme for the Mjolnir concept, I decided to backtrack a little and try something else. While it is easy to find a sensible look for a Chevrolet truck concept, GMC is another animal. The brand has never had any design theme or identity that either stood out or lasted a long time. Chevrolet has somewhat of an identity, so there is a good starting point. I felt that the design I had been working on (shown in the first render) was causing too many challenges and limiting what I really wanted to do with the truck. I felt that I was trying too hard to make it look like a GMC truck based on recent concepts built by the general himself.





The above three renders show the main idea for what I was intending, a GMC-styled chrome grill with over-detailed insert pieces and some LED decorative lighting, along with a rather hexagonal shaping everywhere. The look was just not working, to my eyes, because the look and feel that I wanted just was not there. The "look" I am speaking of is something that is more organic and very buff, as if it was a living animal... So, I started all over, throwing out the ideas I had been working on the past year (all condensed into the above three sketches). 



This was the first sketch to get things going. Originally, all of the renders shown were completed in pencil, but I wished to do more digital sketches because I had not done some in a long while! The above render also became an aid for some better shaping ideas. I started focusing on the body as more of a fuselage with protrusions on the side (the fenders). Before, I had designed the body and fenders as one major part. For example, the first render shown was designed with the body connecting with the fenders. But, the above render was designed with the body being a separate section, and then the fenders are added to complement the shaping better. I feel that a later render shows it better. 



This was a further experiment on the front end, but also testing out a body shaping idea. Unfortunately, I inadvertently  made that front end similar to the new Ford Escape. However, the body is beginning to take a better shape. The midsection narrows between the fenders to create a very athletic shape, and the cabin frame gives off the feeling of a tank, or even the Mjolnir hammer in some form.




This render is pretty much what I wish to use, especially that front end. It is a lean-forward design with a bumper that slants backwards. This makes for an aggressive, and perhaps quasi-animalic look. The cabin is going to be a full length crew cab in the final design, but I wished to try out a shorter cabin size just for this sketch. It does make for a better stance overall, but I wish for more interior space, so a full-size cabin will be the final choice. The front bumper is also an armored piece, with loop towhooks and a high-capacity winch. The hood vent design is something I have been working on ever since I started on the GMC truck designs two years ago. The running boards on the truck shown above also act as rocker panels, capable of supporting the full weight (plus maximum payload) of the vehicle.



I felt that the headlights in the previous render were too large for a multi-capable offroad vehicle (usually they have smaller lights for reduced chance of damage, such as all Jeeps and Hummers), so I experimented with a different design. In doing so, I also tried out a few other things, such as dealing with that large amount of body panel space under the headlights. I also wanted to add more depth to the bumper as well, but it is still an armored design even with that more extreme shaping. The section under the headlights is something I will have to deal with a little further. Because the front grille leans forward, that section under the headlight has to be chiseled carefully to align with the backwards leaning fender edge, or else the surface will be warped. It is not too noticeable in this render, but I may work a few renders to show in better detail later on.



Despite any issues that may have occurred, I have a new look to work with, and I may transfer it in some form onto the smaller Fenrir Denali concept, and the much smaller truck below that one (which I have not named yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment